I love the combination of crispy rice with runny egg! It’s very easy and quick to make on a weekday morning. My variation adds on lots of umami, with shoyu, fish sauce and kimchi.
- Heat 1–2 tsp of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan on med-high
- If desired, sprinkle some shoyu and fish sauce over some cooked rice (I estimate about half to 1 cup of rice) and mix.
- Flatten the rice into a pancake sized layer, and make a hole in the middle (so you can see the bottom of the pan).
- Cook the rice until it gets crispy on the bottom, then crack an egg into the hole in the middle.
- Roll the pan around to spread the egg out a little and turn the heat to med-low.
- Cover the pan with a lid to steam the egg until it’s just done, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slide out of the pan and top as desired. Suggested one or more of the following: togarashi, furikake, toasted sesame seeds, negi, kimchi